Fedora - specialities - was: Re: [Xen-users] Booting Jailtime Centos Ima

To: Jensen Nathan A Capt USAFA/DFCS <nathan.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fedora - specialities - was: Re: [Xen-users] Booting Jailtime Centos Image
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:45:48 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:46:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jensen Nathan A Capt USAFA/DFCS wrote:
> [...]
> 3.  I can use the python scripts to install a new instance of FC6
>       a.  I currently use a file as the back end for this VM.
>       b.  However, this file appears to be different from the Jailtime
> images -- I cannot mount them w/ "mount -o loop"

I also observed that.

Also a Fedora-speciality: They generally use a file as a full block
device. In this block device, they don't directly put a filesystem, but
they add a partition table in there, and in this again create partitions.

You can actually see that there is a partition table by looking at it
with cfdisk <diskfilename>.
But I also didn't yet succeed to mount this as a loopback device,
because there simply is no device file on the system for these "inner"
partitions. And I didn't find how to create one.

Here also, I didn't come further because a lack of time, but guess
fedora-xen List should know what to do.

(Still would be cool if you find a solution to post them here)

Henning