Re: [Xen-users] ifup fails on CentOS 4

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 10:14 -0500, Michael Watters wrote:
> Paul Reilly wrote:
> >> Does this per chance clear up if you alter (or manually specify) the mac
> >> of the device? Was the IP in use by another machine or bridge with a
> >> different mac within 15 or so minutes of you trying to bring up the
> >> device?
> >>

> I tried clearing the ARP cache on our switches but that didn't help
> either.  I'll try using a static MAC to see if that works.

Try a different IP if possible too, since the one you're fighting is
arp'ed to another mac.

Or, Find out what mac the ip you want is arp'ed to and clone it. Since
the device is no longer broadcasting the IP it shouldn't create much
turmoil unless you have an ad-hoc BGP4 config in place.

Unless you go through the trouble of setting up lots of smaller
vlans ... its just going to be a recurring typical issue. Under more
severe circumstances even Cisco has been known to bleed the mac layer in
between vlans (typical only on major VOIP setups) .. but you can see why
keeping them static [and unique] will save you some hair loss :)

Best,
-Tim