Re: [Xen-users] understanding xm top

Ulrich Windl wrote:
On 15 Nov 2006 at 14:53, Tommie McAfee wrote:

 If xm top shows 10% CPU utilization for domain0, it means the CPU
utilization in domain0 is 10% of FOUR physcial CPUs. Is this right?

I  don't think the values scale that way percentage wise, because with 4
physical cpu's, xm-top can show CPU(%) to be as high as 400%.  Unlike the

IMHO that's about as stupid as this output from procinfo:

idle  :   3d 16:05:53.82  99.8%
uptime:      22:03:12.95

How can the idle time be longer than the uptime? How can the CPU usage be more than 100%?

Because it's idle time for all the processors. In any given
day, with a dual-processor machine, you get two days worth
of CPU to use (1 day for each processor).
It's curious that people are more interested in how much
aggregated idle time their CPU(s) have, but only how long
the entire box has been powered up.

--
Julian Davison
Note: 1) This may have come from an address @cbhs.school.nz