Re: [Xen-users] Increasegraphical screen size of vm

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Increasegraphical screen size of vm
From: "Jim Christiansen" <jim.c.christiansen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:05:52 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:06:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Mats,

I should have said that I've got a recent system- tons of vram and usually 1600x1200 works fine with other distos.  I'll look into the xorg.conf more carefully.

On 11/17/06, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

If you add another mode, have you also modified the "monitor" section to
allow the higher resolution?

What happens if you press CTRL-ALT-+ in the X window manager? [That
should increase the setting to the next size up].

I can for sure say that Windows under HVM allows the setting of higher
res in the control panel, so the HVM part of it works fine. But there
are several things that need to work together to get a high-res screen
to work. The most obvious/common problem is that the graphics card
supports the resolution, but the monitor doesn't (or the other way
around). If you know your monitor will handle the size, you can always
just set your monitor settings (HorizSync and VertRefresh) to a wider
range of values (particularly if you're using HVM, as it's not going to
a REAL monitor anyways - REAL monitors don't necessarily like having the
frequency set too far outside what they actually manage...[and modern
good ones have protection against high/low frequency range inputs, so
they will not disply too fast an image anyways]).

--
Mats