Re: [Xen-users] WinXP domU lockup

To: "Steven Smith" <sos22-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] WinXP domU lockup
From: "Art Fore" <art.fore@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 17:42:42 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sos22@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 01:49:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 11/8/06, Steven Smith <sos22-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Set vcpus to 1 and PAE to 0. No change. This all from starting with
> virt-manager. However, I cannot save machine, always have to dor
> File, New machine, and fillinallof the blanks again. Gets to be a
> real pain, but changing the winxp hvm file does affect it.
I've never used virt-manager, so can't speak for it's idiosyncrasies.

> When I try to execute xm create winxp, it starts up, then gets to a
> point and asks to please install GLOBAL/DEVICES/CDROM.
Just to confirm, this is a message on the window which pops up after
you do xm create, and not something in one of the Xen logs?

> If I modify the disk = [ 'file:/home/afore/VM_images/WinXP,hda,w', ]
> to disk = [ 'file:/home/afore/VM_images/WinXP,hda,w', ',hdc:cdrom,r'] and
> remove the cdrom='/dev/hdc, windows then has a message about inserting
> the winxp disk, so at least it is finding it, but cannot read it.
> xm dmesg then shows the
> (XEN) (GUEST: 4) ata1 master: QEMU CD-ROM ATAPI-4 CD-Rom/DVD-Rom
> (XEN) (GUEST: 4) ata1  slave: Unknown device
> again.
What if you say

disk = [ 'file:/home/afore/VM_images/WinXP,hda,w', 'phy:/dev/hdc,hdc:cdrom,r']

instead?

Steven.

I gave up on X86-64. I installed 32-bit x86 smp Suse 10.1 and will try it. Sorry I got your message too late. Did already try the 3.0.3 rpm update from xensource website, that was again a disaster. Instructions wrong again. Had to reinstall as it screwed up my system so bad, it was faster than researching all of its problems even with the non-xen kernel. If Suse 10.1 does not work, will give it one more try with Fedora FC6 32-bit before I throw in the towel and get VMware or try Parallels I know parallels works on 32-bit as I have it on my old inspiron 8500, but it is a little too slow for cad work. Will see how it works with smp.

Art