RE: [Xen-users] Re: DomU guest - resize disk on LVM?

To: 'Robin Bowes' <robin-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: DomU guest - resize disk on LVM?
From: "HAWKER, Dan" <dan.hawker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:25:38 -0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:55:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is it possible to do this at install time?

As Steve mentioned, it depends, but there should be a way, its just how
automated and hassle-free it ends up being :)

> For example, I currently kickstart install my xen guests as follows:
>
> xenguest-install.py --name=guest1
> --file=/dev/vg01/lv_guest1_vm --ram=384
> --location=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/5/i386/os/
> --extra-args="ip=192.168.23.229 netmask=255.255.255.248
> gateway=192.168.23.225 dns=192.168.2.203,192.168.2.204
> ks=http://dev.robinbowes.com/kickstart/misc/guest1-fc5.cfg";
>
> The disk layout is defined in the kickstart config.
>
> But I'd need to specify that /dev/vg01/lv_guest1_root =
> /dev/sda1, /dev/vg01/lv_guest1_usr = /dev/sda2, etc.
>
> Is this possible with xenguest-install.py or do I need to use
> a different install method?

Although I use FC4/5, like Steve, I don't personally use xenguest-install.py
either. However am pretty sure kickstart can do these kinds of things. By
default, it maps things out *fresh* but IIRC the *partition* argument in a
kickstart file can be told to use an existing partition/disk, which coupled
with your kickstart layout, should make it work.

Eg partition /var --onpart=/dev/sda2     or something like that.

Your only problem will be automating the creation of the xen config script,
which is part of what the xenguest-install.py does. I presume with some
hacking it could be made to work (by someone with better than my
non-existent Python skills :).

Just a thought, does the --file really *mean* a file, or is it just a string
that is parsed by xenguest-install.py and fed into the DomU config file???
If the latter, could you simply use --file="[
'phy:/dev/vg01/lv_guest1_root,sda1,w'.....]" or similar. Maybe the
*extra-args* parameter can have disk=[ 'phy:/.....] as an argument... Hmmm.

Good luck :)

Dan
--

Dan Hawker
Linux System Administrator

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do
not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or
disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this email
transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.