Re: [Xen-users] Live migration?

To: Ulrich Windl <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Live migration?
From: Daniel Nielsen <djn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:18:49 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:49:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

I couldn't find much info either :). We use dom0 and domU's that all netboot
from a single server. The RAM contents of a domU is indeed transferred
through ethernet from one dom0 to another during migration. Our dom0's all
have 2 ethernet interfaces and uses one for itself and the other as a bridge
for all domU.

A sample domU file:

name="moya"
kernel="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen"
root="/dev/nfsroot ro"
memory=256
vif=[ 'mac=00:00:00:00:FF:01, ip=130.225.53.42' ]
nfs_server="130.225.53.101"
nfs_root="/data/diskless/xen-root"
extra="ip=dhcp"

This means that each domU has no ties to the physical machine, except for
ethernet, meaning that live migration works like a charm for us.

However, we are currently investigating moving our dom0's and domU's to a
SAN backed setup as NFS at times is a bottleneck for us.

Does anyone have any pointers where to read somthing about this?

/Daniel
Portalen
Support? Skriv til support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx