[Xen-users] vlans directly configured inside each domU using the default

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] vlans directly configured inside each domU using the default xen bridge have very poor performance ...
From: Sébastien CRAMATTE <s.cramatte@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:23:52 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:24:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

vlans directly configured inside each domU using the default xen bridge
have poor performance ...

I've configured somes vlan using 2nd technic that Felipe Alfaro explain
in it's blog :
http://felipe-alfaro.org/blog/category/xen/

For example with OpenLdap  I have got  very very poor performance
more than 3 minuts to make an ldap search on  a small branch with less
250 entries ...
and this process  finish to hang the domU ...

So I've look at  /proc/interupts. I've read somewhere that a too high
value might significate a bridge configuration problem ... ???

#cat /proc/interrupts

           CPU0
256:      39881     Dynamic-irq  timer0
257:          0     Dynamic-irq  resched0
258:          0     Dynamic-irq  callfunc0
259:        235     Dynamic-irq  xenbus
260:       3130     Dynamic-irq  xencons
261:       5686     Dynamic-irq  blkif
262:          1     Dynamic-irq  blkif
263:      31658     Dynamic-irq  eth0

I've setup this VM inside using one bridge per vlan with vlan configured
into dom0 ...
Now ldap search are very quick  and the server seems to be stable

So all to seems works well except some problem with ARP
I've forced the MAC but sometimes seems that arp values are incorrect
... very strange !

I've got to 2 redundants routers with keepalived  to going out to
Internet ...
So my default gateway is always a virtual IP ... and this seems to be a
problem with arp

Moreover  value of eth0 interupts is + or - the half of the old config ...

#cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
256:      25818     Dynamic-irq  timer0
257:          0     Dynamic-irq  resched0
258:          0     Dynamic-irq  callfunc0
259:        237     Dynamic-irq  xenbus
260:        819     Dynamic-irq  xencons
261:       3434     Dynamic-irq  blkif
262:          1     Dynamic-irq  blkif
263:      16754     Dynamic-irq  eth0