RE: [Xen-users] partitions on XEN

To: alessandro.miceli@xxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] partitions on XEN
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:49:11 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 01:49:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You don't necessarily need any more partitions than what you need to install the original Linux installation. You can install all other OS's in files residing on the Dom0 file-system. But if you want to, you can give an entire disk or partition to each (or some) of the Guest-OS's that you're using. The only strict rule is that two guests can absolutely not write to the same virtual disk-media (whether it's a file, partition or physical disk).

I'm pretty sure there are good reasons for doing it one way or another, but I'm not sure exactly which criterias there are for choosing one over another (except that with it's own disk, that guest-OS will not suffer from some other guest-OS doing disk-accesses at another part of the disk, which causes the read/write head of the disk to be "at the wrong place". However, that's only important if you have A LOT of disk accesses from the guest OS).

--
Mats