Re: [Xen-users] xen kernel smp; but only one cpu

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen kernel smp; but only one cpu
From: Gregor Reich <greich@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:29:57 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:59:59 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for the resonse.

I think dom0 only uses one CPU by default - this is by design. You should be able to add more CPUs to it (I'm not sure how, although maybe vcpu-add would work).
vcpu-add does work infact; but as far as I know, it attaches more virtual cpus to dom0, but no real cpus
domUs should also be able to be SMP perfectly happily, if they have support compiled in.
I can attach more vcpus, but the don't care about real ones (?!, this is the VMM design - am I wrong?)
The reference you found on the xen-devel list is probably out of date now: it used to be that Xen supported multiprocessor systems, but guests could only be uniprocessor. This is no longer the case, since Xen 3.0, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.
the post is from may 2006, so xen 3.0 should have been released
Hope this helps you get up and running!
unfortunately not :-(

Regards, Gregor