Re: [Xen-users] Xen-2.0.7 and RHAS 2.4.21

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen-2.0.7 and RHAS 2.4.21
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:30:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 05:31:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> After having successfuly installed a test xen 3 on an ubuntu server, I find
> myself struggling with the install of what should be my production xen 2
> server, running on RH Advanced Server 3. I had all the prerequisites
> installed, xen-2.0.7 itself installed, and I'm right at the stage before
> booting the xen kernel.

I don't think I'd Xen 2 on a server?  Xen 3 is better supported in that it
receives regular bugfixing with each release.  There are known problems with
Xen 2 which don't look like being fixed, I'm afraid.

OTOH, Xen 2 systems have been known to make extremely long uptimes, just that
it's not necessarily any more stable than Xen 3 because it doesn't receive
fixes.

Cheers,
Mark

> My problem is that the hardware I'm using has SCSI disks, with a controller
> I need to load as module; this step was just a breeze on Ubuntu: depmod -a
> and mkinitramfs, add a line in the grub configuration file, reboot and
> voila.
>
> Now on RHAS it seems to be another story: depmod -a <xen kernel version>
> throws unresolved symbols error messages, and the mkinitrd command
> obviously does not create the initrd image.
>
> Does anyone know how I can build my initrd image on this version of Redhat
> so that I can boot the xen kernel ?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quentin.