[Xen-users] EXT3-FS error and VM going Read-Only..

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] EXT3-FS error and VM going Read-Only..
From: Francois Botha <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:45:52 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 02:59:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I'm currently running Xen stable (3.0.2-2) with Linux kernel 2.6.16.29.

I have a strange problem with *one* of my domU's, it seems like as soon
as I do some heavy disk I/O, the filesystem goes read-only with this on
the console:

--
end_request: I/O error, dev hda1, sector 8822
Aborting journal on device hda1.

By the time this happens and I halt the domU and e2fsck (EXT3) the
file (the domU belongs to) there is enough damage to render the filesystem
useless (does not get past where the kernel hands over to init). If I _do_not_
check the filesystem by hand and just reboot the domU I get the same results.

What's strange about this is that I have a exact copy of this domU file
running on the same machine without a problem, which made me ponder if
it's dom0 having disk issues. Unfortunately I can not find a problem
with the dom0 disk, or with the allocation of space for the broken domU
(I've mv'd the broken copy elsewhere on same dom0 filesystem and put a backup
in it's place and it starts up and fails just like the original).
The dom0 also runs plain old EXT3, no LVM or snapshots or anything like
that.

Any ideas of what I can try?

Regards,
Francois