RE: [Xen-users] 32bit DomU on 64-bit Xen

Subject: RE: [Xen-users] 32bit DomU on 64-bit Xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:55:31 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:56:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And the benefit of this is?

I believe iptables is one of the things that you can't run the 32-bit
version on a 64-bit kernel - although I'm not sure... When googling on
the subject, I found that there was a patch submitted in early January
2006 to "fix" this problem - whether that patch got accepted and works
is a different question - I didn't look at it further...

> Can't this work?

All user-mode code that doesn't make assumptions about the kernel or
uses pre-compiled 32-bit kernel modeuls can be run on 64-bit kernel -
but again, what is the benefit of running a complete 32-bit installation
that is NOT part of a packaged distribution, when there is a (hopefully)
some distribution that comes with the complete 64-bit set of "guaranteed
by the distributor to work together" parts - ok, so it may not ALWAYS
work as the distributor says, but if you mix'n'match your own version of
32+64-bit parts, it's almost guaranteed that you're going to have SOME
problems - at least the main distributors do put SOME effort into making
sure what they distribut works...

All compatibility problems caused by the kernel being 64-bit would still
remain. The only point I can see is that you save some diskspace by only
installing 32-bit .so's, but with a limited installation of 64-bit
tools, you'd not fill enough diskspace to REALLY make a huge difference.

I just don't get the point, so if you could enlighten me as to why you
would want to do this, I'll look further at any reason why it
would/would not work...

--
Mats