Re: [Xen-users] FAQ: How to backup for recovery?

Hi Julian,

of course, the filesystem was not cleanly unmounted. But as long as you use a journaling filesystem, the log run on mount time will correct nearly all errors: If you can mount the snapshot, if will be consistent. If the DomU did some wired things during snapshot, and the journal will not help to recover, I'd skip the backup and try it later. I'm doing such backups with several ext3 and one xfs (a cyrus partition with lots of files), and the snapshots always were mountable after journal recovery.

How do you know if the backup mounts? Do you just try it and
see what happens?

Yes, mount returns useful error codes when trying. In your shell-script you can easily case the error codes and decide what to do.

(I'm wondering how an automated system will 'try it later')

I currently only echo a warning, so I'll see the error in the log the cronjob is mailing me. 'try it later' means, that I skip the domU at this run. Because I do 4 runs a day, it wouldn't be that bad. But - as I wrote above - it always recovered successfully since installation of the script.

cu cp