Re: [Xen-users] ethtool and mii-tool don't work under xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] ethtool and mii-tool don't work under xen
From: <bg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:22:33 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 03:11:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Oct 01 '06 at 22:09, Ian P. Christian wrote:
> Tested on identical hardware (Dell SC1425) with a non-xen kernel, it
> wroks fine.  However under Xen, this is what happens:
>
> xen1 ~ #  ethtool eth0
> Settings for eth0:
> No data available
> xen1 ~ # mii-tool eth0
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported

You're using the wrong interface. When you start the xend using the
normal config files, your real eth0 gets renamed to phy-eth0 (or so, an
ifconfig -a should tell you).
I'm using the debian packages with my own config file, so the real eth0
is never renamed and just works fine.
--
/"\ Goetz Bock at blacknet dot de  --  secure mobile Linux everNETting
\ /       (c) 2006 Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 de