Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?

To: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 16:41:12 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 06:42:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 07:38:41PM +0100, Ian P. Christian wrote:
> I'm currently investigating setting up few Xen servers.  I've noticed
> that currently live migration of Xen's require you to use a network
> based storage system.
>
> So, I've looked at a few of the options, and they all strike me as
> reasonably 'new' to linux, so I'm not sure how stable these options are.
>
> iSCSI looked like a good bet, but the fact it's using TCP/IP seems like
> a crazy overhead to use when I'm most likely going to be hosting the
> storage on the same layer 2 network as the servers.

iSCSI is nice, you can play and test with your own custom iSCSI server
(=target), maybe done with Linux iSCSI Enterprise Target software and
software raid + lvm.

If you need more speed, reliability and manageability, you can buy some of
the "hardware" targets.. for example Equallogic PS-series:

with 750G 7.2K SATA2-drives:
http://www.equallogic.com/products/view.aspx?id=1791

with 146G 15K SAS-drives:
http://www.equallogic.com/products/view.aspx?id=1989

Those will give you 60 000 IOPS per box.. and 300 MB/sec (3xGE per box).

They also contain "group management", so if you have 1 or 20 boxes, you
still manage (and use) them like 1 box. Automatic load-balancing between
boxes and ports.

- Pasi