Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:25:33 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:26:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday 30 September 2006 1:38 pm, Ian P. Christian wrote:
> AoE solves that above concern but I'm confused as to what would happen
> should I need to move from SATA storage drives to SCSI for performance
> reasons.

i don't think there's any "performace reasons" on SCSI vs SATA drives; but
note that the AoE 'server' (vblade) is open source, you can build your own
storage with any kind of hardware, RAID and/or volume management, and export
it via AoE.

the Coraid's 15-drive box is just a P4 SuperMicro mainboard, with two
SuperMicro 8-port SATA cards on a 3U SuperMicro case, and an IDE flashdrive
with Plan9 OS and its own software.  nothing hard to replicate...

--
Javier