Re: [Xen-users] Problem running domU over a diskless XEN

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Javier Guerra wrote:

> On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:39 am, Tal Maoz wrote:
> > I have a XEN 3.0.2 hypervisor running as a diskless machine over NFS
> > (booted using PXE and DHCP)
> > When I run "xend start" my machine freezes and the only thing to do is to
> > cold boot it.
>
> not exactly the solution you're seeking, but have you tried to do PXE without
> NFSroot?
>
> i mean, since dom0 is supposed to do VERY little work besides xend, you can
> create a cramfs initrd with all you need and get that via TFTP at bootup; no
> need for NFSroot on dom0.
>
> i do that for some small servers, accessible only via SSH, SCP and thttp (no
> Xen... yet)

that's an interesting idea. Do you have a build environment for the initrd
that you'd be willing to share (or suggest). Obviously it should be a cut
down environment, not a gnu-libc one where you can't get a static binary
down to less than a 1/2 meg. Busybox can get you a long way, but doesn't
cover ssh. And xen needs a lot of python... hhmm, that would be a really
cool project, but not a trivial one.

(yikes, my centos python install is 20 meg, in that scale, maybe skipping
glibc isn't significant.)

-Tom