Re: [Xen-users] Error on DomU with xencons=ttyS

To: MINAI Katsuhito <minai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error on DomU with xencons=ttyS
From: Luke Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:11:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, MINAI Katsuhito wrote:
 INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
"Xen 3.0 Users' Manual" says that xencons=ttyS attaches the console to
/dev/ttyS0.
The direct cause of this error is that mingetty ended on abnormal status
immediately.
mingetty was logging the following message. I checked the source codes
and found that this message was logged when opening /dev/tty1 failed on
ENXIO.

 /bin/mingetty[2399]: tty1: cannot open tty: No such device or address

/dev/tty1-6 are your virtual consoles (on a regular linux box, pres alt-f1, alt-f2, etc, to reach the other consoles) Xen only supports one console. (for xm console) so when init tries to start getty on one of the other, non-existant consoles, it fails, and attempts to re-start over and over again (thus the respawning to fast error.)