RE: [Xen-users] How to configure VBD hard disk drives in Linux HVMdomain

To: "Liang Yang" <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] How to configure VBD hard disk drives in Linux HVMdomain?
From: "You, Yongkang" <yongkang.you@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:58:00 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:59:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your config is partly right. But it also needs a Qemu emulated IDE disk as the
OS to boot up firstly, for example, 'hda'. It is because HVM VBD disk can be
used, only after HVM boot up and load VBD driver. So the config could look like:
disk = [ ''phy:/dev/sda,hda,w' and ‘phy:/dev/sdb,xvda,w’]

>I tried the following formats:
>disk = ['phy:/dev/sda,xvda,w' and ‘phy:/dev/sdb,xvdb,w’]
>
>but these drives are still not recognized. Do I need to build
>para-virtualized driver before I can use vbd in Linux HVM?
Yes. Correct.

Compared with configuration, the more operations are need before and after
creating HVM. Usually it needs to rebuild HVM kernel and HVM VBD driver
firstly. I did following ways (It is okay in xen unstable changeset 11440):
1. Download and build 2.6.16 Linux kernel as HVM new kernel. (If you HVM guest
is UP, you need do extra config. The build process can be operated in Xen0)
2. Find you Xen0 source. Go to folder unmodified_drivers/linux-2.6 . Follow
README to build out 4 HVM VBD drivers.
3. Install new kernel (step 1) in HVM and copy 4 VBD drivers to HVM.
4. Create HVM with the former config and the new kernel.
5. After HVM is up, follow 'step 2' README to load VBD drivers one by one.
6. If everything is okay. 'fdisk -l' could find the new hard disk 'xvda'. You
can mount it to any folder to use it. ;)

If any problems meet, please let me know. ;)

Best Regards,
Yongkang (Kangkang) 永康