[Xen-users] Xen with newer-than-2.6.16.26

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen with newer-than-2.6.16.26
From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:15:26 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:16:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm having problems with my dom0 linux kernel, which I beleive could be fixed by going to a newer linux kernel.   (The problems are not related to XEN, and have to do with device driver support for ATAPI support under SATA).  I've tried updating to 2.6.17 _non-xen_ and my device driver problems are solved.  Now, if only I can update to 2.6.17 _with_ XEN.

So I'd like to be able to run XEN with a 2.6.17 or later dom0 kernel.  It's not clear to me how to do this or even if it's possible.  I'm running Gentoo.  The latest xen-sources they currently have available for emerge is 2.6.16.28

A few possible approaches which I've considered:

  - Convert a redhat fedora kernel-sources package from RPM to tgz using rpm2targz, and try that.  They seem to have xen dom0 compatible release up to one of the 2.6.18 release candidates.

  - Start with a vanilla gentoo kernel-sources emerge, and apply whatever patches are necessary to make them xen-dom0 compatible.  I have absolutely no idea how to find these patches, or how realistic a goal this is.

  - Start with the xen-sources 2.6.16.26 emerge, and apply incrimental patches from kernel.org to get it up to 2.6.17 or later.

Any folks with wisdom to share on which of the above approaches is best?  Or any others I haven't thought of?  And any hints or tips that will help me along the way.

Thanks,
Derek.