RE: [Xen-users] Kernel 2.6 (domain0) and Kernel 2.4 (domainU)???

To: "'Fabian Holler'" <fho@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bruno Rodrigues Silva'" <brunors@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Kernel 2.6 (domain0) and Kernel 2.4 (domainU)???
From: "Steffen Heil" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 13:03:11 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 04:04:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

> This is only possbile with an HVM machine. Paravirtualized
> machines are using the host kernel.

NO.

EACH VM has it's own kernel!
By design you should be able to use any paravirtualized kernel in any domU
(even different ones at the same time) while using any xen-hosting kernel in
dom0.
There is only ONE restirction: domU's xen build must not be newer the the
running supervisor.

Beside that, you simply cannot build any kernel with any version. AFAICT
there is no 2.4 kernel for xen3, you will need to compile the 2.4 kernel
with xen2. However by the rules above, you should still be able to run that
in a xen3 host. (Not the other way around though.)

I need to say, that I didn't test this myself except for running 3.0.0/1
kernels in a 3.0.2-2 host.

Regards,
  Steffen