Re: [Xen-users] To Xen or not to Xen

The root of the problem is not enough contiguous cache to allow adequate
# of child daemons to spawn and stay ready to meet demand.

What happens is , on a typical linux server is this :

Apache, MySQL (and usually a mailer) all fight running at the same
priority to spawn / cache x # of child daemons.

One, or all gets a surge in usage or abused .. and now there's not
enough contiguous blocks of cache for new children to live.

So, mysql, apache, php (if using fastcgi) must now

1 - fork for every request
2 - swap (skid to disk)

This is the cause of your I/O bottlenecks.

Simply putting Apache and MySQL on different VM's will eliminate most of
the problem, because you are also eliminating the competition for
contiguous space to cache.

You can also try :

Using something like spri, available at rfxnetworks.com to re-prioritize
your process tree based on demands. This helps quite a bit.

Build PHP sensibly. Typically its bloated at about 15 MB, you can
normally get it down to as low as 3 - 5 MB in size with all
functionality you need.

Use FastCGI! Stop making everything fork each time (ahem, php hehe)

Increase the # of idle HTTP and sql servers.

... etc .. etc.

Breaking up your over-malloc()'ing daemons however is step 1, if you
hope to get it under control.

Then, you can look at what's really causing I/O loads in your
applications, without having to weed through what's just dirty paging.

Log your dirty* in slabinfo for a week, xen the machine, break up your
services a bit then log it again. You'll see a major improvement.

HTH
Tim