Re: [Xen-users] can't get multiple VLANs to work

To: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] can't get multiple VLANs to work
From: Sébastien CRAMATTE <s.cramatte@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:12:37 +0200
Cc: Andrew Ross <aross@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:13:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've configured VLAN under debian sarge (kernel 2.6.16.19 + xen 3.0.2) using this howto

http://felipe-alfaro.org/blog/category/xen/

The Felipe's howto explain two approach in depth (vlan config in domU and 1 vlan per bridge)

Unfortunately the Andrew's approach with one vlan per bridge doesn't work for me ...

I must use Felipe's approach  that configure vlan directly in each  domU.
Morevover I force the mtu of vlan interface to "1496" in each domU
I've seen a message about this in  xen-devel list  :
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-08/msg00935.html

Bonding + vlan not works  !
It's very very slow or I loose packet randomly ...
I've tried to setup it using methods  above... neither of them work ...

Regards

Tomasz Chmielewski a écrit :
Andrew Ross wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
I'm trying to set up Xen 3.0.2 to serve multiple guest domains, each
using a unique VLAN.

Is there anyone out there using Xen with a couple of domains, which use
different VLANs? I would be thankful for any suggestions on where the
problem might be (and no, it's not checksumming).

I'm afraid I can't offer any specific suggestions for your setup, but I
will mention that I'm successfully running several domUs with different
VLANs.

However, both my dom0 and domU are Gentoo, and both our init.d system
and its interaction with Xen is a little different from other distros.

I'm using tagged VLANs on a single physical interface (eth0), with the
vlan interfaces named vlanN . I create a separate bridge for each VLAN,
named after the VLAN's common-name (eg. dmz, external, staff, student,
etc). Each vlanN interface is added to the corresponding bridge, and any
domU which needs networking on that particular VLAN has its vif assigned
to the necessary bridge, in the usual bridge=whatever manner.

The only way I could make it work is to set up vlans inside domU domains.

It works, but I don't like it.