Re: [Xen-users] How to make a copy (backup) of domU

On 29 Aug 2006, at 6:04 PM, Mike Williams wrote:
On Tuesday 29 August 2006 10:53, FB wrote:
You can do it your way - but you've got to shutdown the domu before
backing it up. If your root partition is an XFS-filesystem, you might
be able to dump a running domu-filesystem-image after calling xfs_freeze
(inside the domu). However, I wouldn't recommend using XFS as root
filesystem.

The other option is to use some kind of network backup client in your domu
or tar/cpio/dump all necessary partitions somewhere.

I just tar all my domu's root-partitions into a network filesystem
directory.

I use LVM, and a script running in dom0 I knocked up to create snapshots of each running domU in turn, then rdiff-backup to send the data off somewhere
else.

Hi Mike,

I'd read about problems with LVM snapshots on earlier 2.6 kernels and didn't immediately turn up anything that indicated it had been resolved. Any issues to watch out for or has it all been relatively plain sailing for you?

James