Re: [Xen-users] Re: Differences in performance between file and LVM base

To: Ligesh <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Differences in performance between file and LVM based images.
From: "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:03:30 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:04:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For what its worth, it should be fairly obvious also that using files
for the domUs becomes increasingly poor in performance as you add
domUs.

For an extreme case of this, I had 60 domUs going on a 4 node IBM x460
under SLES10/Xen.  All the DomUs used files for their filesystems and
all of those were stored on a multiple disk LVM volume that was spread
across three of the nodes.

All 60 of the DomUs were bootable and did in fact run, BUT the access
time was so slow that just logging in to one of them took a
considerable amount of time.

I have also observed that the type of disks you are using as storage
space can greatly effect the apparent performance.  Good example was
running 6 domUs using files instead of physical disks on a SATA RAID
array vs running the same things off a SCSI RAID array using 15K RPM
disks...

Personally, I kinda expected that result, and just for the grain of
salt factor, I did not use any real benchmarking to observe this, this
is all just my observations of the usability of the domUs in various
storage configurations...

Also, these were all paravirtualized domUs... no full virtualization was done...

--
                     www.jefflane.org

The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
rights, no police, no courts.  Don't talk about fairness or
innocence, and don't talk about what should be done.  Instead,
talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
user base." -Paul Vixie