Re: [Xen-users] Error: Kernel image does not exist: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error: Kernel image does not exist: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen3_86.1_rhel4.1
From: nbitspoken <nbitspoken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 06:38:36 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 03:38:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Henning,

I apologize for the mistake. I am new to this board and clicked on the wrong link. I was not trying to initiate a private exchange or obtain
"free support." Per your request, below please find the content of my reply.

Henning Sprang wrote:
I am not gonna read this mail.

I don't give peronsal support for free if it's not on the  mailing list,
for the community.

Post this mail to the list and I will read it eventually.
Or ask me for a price quote for personal, commercial(as opposed to
community) support.

Henning

nbits wrote:
Henning,

Thanks for responding! :)

Thanks for responding. I'll try to brief. Here is the quote from the 3.0
manual:

       6.1 Exporting Physical Devices as VBDs
      One of the simplest configurations is to directly export
individual partitions from domain
      0 to other domains. To achieve this use the phy: specifer in your
domain
      confguration file.

If DomU (the guest) had to be on the same "filesystem" (as you say) as
the host, then it wouldn't make sense to  "export individual partitions

from domain 0 to other domains," because a partition *is* a file system
(at least once it has been formatted), and the exported file system is
certainly not the same as the one on which Dom0 is running!  As the
language of section 6.1 suggests, running separate partitions as guest
domains is a standard or "simplest"  usage scenario, and building a
filesystem inside a file mounted as a loopback device (as most people
seem to be doing at this stage) is arguably  a secondary, advanced usage
in relation to the "simplest configuration" that I am trying to achieve
here. Now it so happens that the physical partition to be exported is
not pristine, but virginity is not a requirement here. Domain 0 doesn't
care whether or not DomU is also natively bootable or chain loaded or
whatever when run outside Xen, -- it just needs a kernel, a root
filesystem, and an initrd, and all that information is supplied in the
guest domain's configuration file (so no separate menu.lst or grub.conf
should be needed).
I have interleaved the remainder of my reply with the text of your
message below.

Henning Sprang wrote:

Hi,