Re: [Xen-users] How to Use Xen with eth1?[Scanned]

To: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to Use Xen with eth1?[Scanned]
From: Chris Bradford <chrisbradford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:14:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:13:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Henning Sprang wrote:
Hi,

On 8/14/06, Chris Bradford <chrisbradford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
I had to use eth0 as the network interface on the xen0 machine, otherwise the xenU
machine would not find the ftp server to install from.

What do you mean by "I had to use eth0 as the network interface on the
xen0 machine"?
I don't understand your network setup - can you describe it a bit better?

The only thing I understood from your description is that you where
using bridged networking, and you configured the network-script to
connect eth1 on the dom0 to the bridge, instead of connecting eth0 to
this bridge.

[...]
Is there a simple way to get the xenU install process to use eth1?

xen as it is provided by xensource doesn't come with any install
process for domU's, and so you can't make this process to "use" eth1.
So what install process are you using? The Fedora-specific domU
install script? (something *.py)
If so, you might ask on the fedora-xen mailing list, they might know
much better how this works and how to fix errors with it.

Or to get xen to use eth1 for all xenU clients?

A xenU instance never "uses" the eth1 from you dom0, at best you would
make the xenU use one interface from your real hardwrae directly with
pci-passthrough, but it doesn't seem like this is what you are about
to do here. Apart from that, domU instances only get virtual network
interfaces.
Please read the xen wiki page "XenNetworking" to learn about how xen
networking works, I think this will help you better understand the
whole context in the first place.

I am not sure how these fedora install scripts work, but normally, if
you configured xend to use eth1 for the bridge, all domU's get
connected to the same bridge, and should have the same problems as
well as success for outside network connections.

Henning

Henning,

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I have two NIC's in the host machine (xen0 kernel)

eth1 is in use and eth0 is not in use due to the fact that eth1 is a 10/100/1000 NIC and eth0 is only 10/100.

When I installed the first guest machine (xenU kernel) I had lots of problems with network connectivity; i.e the guest OS could not obtain an IP address.

When I set eth0 as my primary interface and rebooted the guest OS was able to find an IP address. So I configured the guest whilst the host was using this card. After finishing the setup of the host OS I switched back to eth1 as the primary card after looking through the xen config files as described in my first post. After a reboot the bridge was configured to use eth1 and everything worked fine.

I went to setup a second host a few days later and had exactly the same problems again.

I am certain that the virtual interface is bridged with eth1 but the guest OS seems to ignore this and wants to use a bridge with eth0. This is fine in a testing environment, but I can't swap interfaces when this machine is live along with all the hosts.

I'll ask on the fedora-xen list as I am using the FC5 install script for guest operating systems.

Many thanks for your reply,

-Chris

www.blackspider.com