[Xen-users] Xen and Asterisk/Zapata WORKING!!

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen and Asterisk/Zapata WORKING!!
From: Jason <fearthepenguin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:56:35 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:02:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey guys, I have been off list for awhile, but thought I would post how I got asterisk playing well in a DomU with an X100P FXO card.

The first thing I did was to give up trying to get the zaptel modules to compile in a DomU. I never did get that part working. Instead, you compile the module in your Dom0, but tell the make program to use the sources for DomU. My xen sources are in /usr/src/xen-unstable.hg/, so the sources for linux-xen0 and linux-xenU are in that sub directory. In order to make the least number of modifications to the zaptel make files, you need to setup a link in /lib/modules/2.6.16-xenU/build to /usr/src/xen-unstable.hg/linux-2.6.16-xenU (or whatever kernel version you are running)

ls -l /lib/modules/2.6.16-xenU/build
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Jul 10 19:50 /lib/modules/2.6.16-xenU/build -> /usr/src/xen-unstable.hg/linux-2.6.16-xenU/

Now, download the zaptel sources into whatever directory you want on your Dom0. The next part couldn't be easier. Just cd into the zaptel directory and run

make KVERS=2.6.16-xenU  (or again, whatever kernel version you are using)

The modules get made and we are almost done. Their is most likely a cleaner way to do the next part, but it works for me. Still in Dom0, run a make install. This will install the modules into your Dom0, but in /lib/modules/2.6.16-xenU/misc directory. copy that directory over to the same place on your DomU and viola, zaptel in DomU. Don't forget to export the PCI device to DomU (my X100P shows up as 02:03.0 Communication controller: Motorola: Unknown device 5608) and be very sure that you don't try to load that module into Dom0 for some reason. I did that and my IRQ rate shot through the roof when my DomU booted and locked the box. After that, installing asterisk is straight from the book inside DomU. I have had no problems with jitter or timing and cpu usage for my home (4 phones, very light use) is almost non existent.