[Xen-users] Re: vif0.0: received packet with own address as source

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: vif0.0: received packet with own address as source
From: "Kevin Kult" <kevin.kult@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:47:41 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:48:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sorry!
 #3. in my earlier message should have read UNICAST MAC.
Kevin

On 8/7/06, Kevin Kult <kevin.kult@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Realizing that this error is not a XEN issue, but one of bridged networks, I understand why when this question has been posed in the past responders on lists like this dismiss the question quickly.  I found the same on the FC list archives as well.  Anyway just to help out anyone else who tries to resolve an issue like this and turns to the archive as a first source for answers, here are my findings and a resolution that worked for me.

It turns out that some Network cards ( in my case a Linksys) use the same default MAC (FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) as the Xenbridge uses as a default for the attached virtual interfaces.  This resulted in the "received packet with own address as source" error message as the virtual ethernet card tries to send packets through the bridge.  The first stop along the way is the associated vifX.X, which announces the above complaint.  The steps I followed to clear this were:
1. Down the bridge,
2. Down the eth0 network card,
3. Bring eth0 back up with a forced multicast MAC (ie: FA:00:00:00:FF:FF),
4. Restart the xen bridge with the network-bridge script.

I hope this helps someone else out.
Kevin