RE: [Xen-users] DSL (Damm Small Linx) and Xen

To: "Bernd Schemmer" <Bernd.Schemmer@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] DSL (Damm Small Linx) and Xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:46:14 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 04:47:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2.4 kernels only work in either Xen 2.x or fully virtualized, as there's no
patches to the 2.4 kernel. It would be possible to create 2.4 kernel patches,
but I think it's very low on the priority list...

> I have a customized harddisk image of DSL that I would like
> to run in a Xen DomU.
>
> Can this be done without recompiling the kernel and/or libs?

In full virtualization (HVM = VT/SVM capable hardware) you can run without any
recompilation or other changes to the system. Only Xen 3.x support full
virtualization, and of course, you do need recent hardware to get the necessary
processor features...

--
Mats