Re: [Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.

To: Chris McKeever <techjedi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.
From: tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:45:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

just as a side note... it is more usefull if you quote the things that do
work, as compared to the things that do not work. People on this list
often refer folks to the mailing list archives, but it takes a fair amount
of work to pull usefull information out of those archives.

Then again, I don't know why the xen code couldn't convert network
configuration parameters into the kernel auto-config format. I don't know
if it is a good idea, but it seems possible.

> > If you check this link:
> > http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-02/msg00147.html
> >
> > you can see that the method you are using, actually (in terms of the
> > referenced doc) is supposed to be available for config parameters:
> > ip="blah"
> > netmask="blah"
> > gateway="blah"

AFAIK, all these settings are _mostly_ for configuring dom0 and the xen
network. Given that XEN can host basically any linux distribution it is
not realistic to believe that every distribution is going to fish out the
parameters that were configured in the xen config files and not over-ride
them with it's own settings. In fact, the default XEN "bridge" setup
basically requires that the domU configure itself.

The only time you really _need_ to configure the domU from the dom0 (or
dhcp) is if you want the kernel to boot over the network. e.g. with an NFS
root or from a network block device as I was doing. Any search on "linux
nfs root"  should turn up the magic string for having the Linux kernel
auto-configure the network stack. It is:

AFAIK, The server-ip string seems to be mandatory, and 0.0.0.0 does not
work.

-Tom