Re: [Xen-users] Strange RPC error

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:15:50 +1000
Andrew Ross wrote:

|By following the instructions at http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Xen ?

Exactly. But in this HowTo the version is 3.0.0.
The only ebuild present in portage, today, is the 3.0.2.

Another difference is the USE flag "hardened", that I used to
build the entire system. Now, I'm going to rebuild world without that
flag. Tomorrow I'll see if that is the question.

I'll try another solution too: I'll install xen without "hardened" and
"ntplonly" flags on another host.

|Aside from the xen-related ebuilds and their dependencies, you're
|running a stable up-to-date Gentoo system?

Yes.

|> The Dom0 kernel is up and running, all works perfectly.
|> But when I try to start a DomU, xm raises this error:
|>
|> # xm create -c <conf_file>
|> Using config file <conf_file>
|> Error: <ProtocolError: RPC2/: -1>
|
|> Log shows an error while loading the DomU:

|> [2006-07-06 18:50:10 xend] CRITICAL (SrvDaemon:190) Xend died due to signal
6!  Restarting it.

|You need to find out why Xend is being terminated by the kernel (ie.
|signal 6).

|Once you've located the core dump run "file path-to-core-dump" to see
|what program caused it, then load the program and core dump into gdb
|(which you'll need to emerge, if you don't already have it) with "gdb
|path-to-program path-to-core". At the prompt type "backtrace", which
|should help identify exactly where in xend the crash occurred.

Yes, me too I'm a developer, but now ... no time to debug :/

Do you have direct experience with gentoo and xen?

br
--
efphe