Re: [Xen-users] EVMS or GFS

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] EVMS or GFS
From: "Serge Dubrouski" <sergeyfd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:31:20 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:31:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
There is an easy solution for that (rpm in Mandriva has the same
problem). Create a file on your OCFS2 filsystem, let's say 500M. Setup
loop device and create ext3 fs inside it. Use is as a second disk in
your DomU then and mount it into /var/lib/rpm or whatever Debian uses
for apt-get.

Not the best one, but it works for me with NFS shared device for
DomUs. NFS doesn't support mmap as well

On 5/25/06, Karsten Nielsen <karsten-xen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lars Roland wrote:
> On 5/25/06, Karsten Nielsen <karsten-xen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi list.
>>
>> I have the setup illustrated below. The app (application xen) servers
>> will have live migration between them, and at any given time there can
>> be added new app servers and more storage on the same storage server. I
>> have exported the block devices from the shared storage with nbd.
>>
>> ---------  ---------
>> | app 1 |  | app 2 |
>> ---------  ---------
>>      \        /
>>       \      /
>>        \    /
>>    ----------------
>>   | shared storage |
>>
>> I have a lot of troble to get the GFS to work on xenified kernel 2.6.16.
>> Whereas I have no problem patching the xenified kernel with the evms
>> patches. I haven't tryed booting the kernel yet but it compiled fine.
>
> Regarding patching you might want to go with ocfs2 instead of GFS
> since it is already in kernel 2.6.16.

I have tried that at it worked fine, but the problem is that apt-get in
debian uses mmap and ocfs2 does not support that. So I am affried that
that is not an option.

- Karsten