Re: [Xen-users] poor harddisk performance HVM domain (Windows 2003 guest

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] poor harddisk performance HVM domain (Windows 2003 guest)
From: Andy Clayton <xen.nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 15:13:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 May 2006 13:14:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Javier Guerra wrote:
On Sunday 07 May 2006 8:37 am, Joost van den Broek wrote:
It even gets worse when installing and using Ubuntu HVM, can't enable DMA
for the QEMU harddisk, resulting in a very slow +-3.5MB/s read. Isn't there
any way to resolve this?

qemu's HD emulation is very primitive; no DMA, no LBA48. but it shouldn't be such slow, since the real device (in dom0) does have DMA. of course, the best solution is still in the future, when a HVM domain would accept special paravirtualized drivers for HD and network. those will be needed to get better performance for windows.

PD, the newest version of qemu does have both DMA and LBA48, but i think nobody has bothered porting it to Xen

Gah! I missed the reply to all button. Some have already replied, but anyways...

If there is interest in a patch with LBA48 stuff ported over I can post it. I am not sure about DMA, but LBA48 falls in easily and seems to work fine.

Andy Clayton