Re: [Xen-users] XEN+CLVM+GFS

To: Schlomo Schapiro <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN+CLVM+GFS
From: "Christopher G. Stach II" <cgs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:38:37 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:39:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> why not give every domU a SAN device ? no need for CLVM and GFS in this
> case. You should just think about how to get a consistent naming of the
> SAN devices, e.g. with multipathd oder this scsi persistent names package
> (can't recall the name now, if you need it, I can look it up again).

You get consistent naming with CLVM.

> What is the benefit of GFS ? I did a GFS cluster recently, it is
> definitively NOT trivial to setup and keep running and a single mistake
> will guaranteed CRASH all nodes in your GFS cluster. We tested that rather
> a lot ...

The benefit is that multiple hosts can write safely to the same filesystem.

It's not that difficult to set up if you read all of the documentation
and actually understand it before you begin.  Pick your lock manager,
find what needs to be shared and with whom, configure your cluster
configuration, and start up the machines.  If you have problems with
joining or leaving the cluster, or fencing, it's all pretty well
documented.  It's not simple, but it's not as complicated as everyone
makes it sound.

Crash or fence?  A single mistake will probably only prevent your
cluster from starting, or at worst, you would get an undesired cluster
partition which is easily detected and easily fixed.

--
Christopher G. Stach II