RE: [Xen-users] Memory bound applications

To: "Mathias Waack" <Mathias.Waack@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Memory bound applications
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:05:57 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:08:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think you're missing an important part of the concept here. The memory
you give to DomU has to be physical memory, because it's not managed by
Dom0. It's managed by a combination of DomU (doing for example swapping)
and the hypervisor. Dom0 is not involved in any of this. The hypervisor
has no ability to swap in/out memory, so the memory you give to a DomU
has to be PHYSICALLY present in the machine.

The reason the hypervisor can't swap is because it never was designed to
do that. It would also require the hypervisor to have knowledge of the
hard-disk layout (or you'd have to make sure that you don't need to swap
out any of Dom0 and use Dom0 to do the actual swapping - which would
make the hypervisor relatively simpler, but still make the processing of
swapping quite hard).

The OS knows (because this is given with the flags when the memory was
allocated) which pages are swappable and which are not. This information
is not available to HV, so you'd either have to implement it blind (as
in, the HV doesn't actually know what it's swapping in/out) or extend
the information needed to be passed from the OS to HV so that it can say
"It's (not) OK to swap this page out" when you need more memory. And
whilst the first approach is POSSIBLE, it would not be very good if the
HV suddenly replaced your post for a web-forum to be transmitted by the
network card with some block of memory that came out of your
"accounts.txt" that you were editing in Xemacs and contains your account
and password info for your electronic banking web-site... ;-)

As Taneli said: why don't you swap in each DomU?

--
Mats