Re: [Xen-users] PAE performance cost on an Dual Opteron 265 with 8GB of

To: Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PAE performance cost on an Dual Opteron 265 with 8GB of RAM
From: "Robert Hulme" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:25:21 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:25:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 05:37, Robert Hulme wrote:
> > As far as I'm aware to access all 8GB of memory I'll need to enable
> > PAE on xen? Is this correct?
> Isn't PAE just for the 32-bit systems to allow them to access up to 64GB?  I
> believe the Opteron can access 1TB natively.
Err yes. I don't think I was clear enough.

With 64 bit Xen it doesn't need PAE to access all the RAM but my
question is about using a 32 bit Xen kernel (which would need PAE)
rather than a 64 bit kernel as NetBSD is not compatible with 64 bit
AMD64 kernels yet.

I can use a 32 bit kernel with PAE on my Opteron as it is capable of
running normal x86 code (presumably which also includes PAE).

-Rob
"Women are always right when they're /naked/" - Andrew Neil
"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over
them—bring them here and kill them in front of me." - Jesus (Luke
19:27)

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/