Re: [Xen-users] Re: how to specify multiple ips

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 22:32 +0530, Anand Gupta wrote:
> I have been trying to get any replies on this small query of mine.
> Will appreciate if someone can help me out here.
>
> Using the second interface is causing problems, when i boot my centos
> domU, the second adapter doesn't have the ip address. If i manually
> use ifconfig eth1 and specify the ip, netmask only then it comes up.
>
> any help will be appreciated.
>
> On 4/15/06, Anand Gupta <xen.mails@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Anyone ? I tried using the following
>
>         vif = ['mac=AA:00:00:18:98:FB, ip=x.x.x.x, vifname=xen01',
>         'mac=AA:00:00:18:98:FD, ip=x.x.x.x, vifname=xen02']
>
>         and the above works as well. However it creates another
>         interface inside the domU as eth1. Can't i assign two ips to
>         the same interface ?
>
>         Any help would be appreciated.
<snip>
Hello, Anand.  If I understand you correctly, you can do this but would
not do it in your Xen configuration file.  The domain file would set up
your virtual physical interface but your IP addresses would be set by
the configuration files within your domU.

I always prefer to use iproute2 to establish multiple IP addresses per
physical interface.  There is a somewhat dated slideshow about iproute2
in the training section of the ISCS open source network security
management project (http://iscs.sourceforge.net) or you can search your
distribution for a file named ip-cref.ps.

Some distributions still prefer the use of aliases where you would set
up something like an ifcfg-eth0:0 file using device O:0 which will bind
an alias to physical interface eth0.

Hope I understood your question and that this helps. Good luck - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com