[Xen-users] Performance issues

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Performance issues
From: Stephan Austermühle <au@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:58:34 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:59:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everybody!

Now that Xen 3.0 unstable (downloaded on 2006-04-06) is up and running
for me I did some performance tests. I have chosen a Linux kernel
compile as a benchmark to compare the native versus the domU
performance. The results are:

                native  domU    loss
make -j4          553s    666s  -17%
make -j2          565s    713s  -22%
make            1,026s  1,199s  -14%

System: Athlon64, Dual-Core, 2,0 GHz, 64bit, glibc 2.3.6 (Debian Etch)
Native settings: kernel booted with 'mem=512M', kernel 2.6.16.1
Xen settings: dom0 128 MByte, domU 512 MByte, kernel 2.6.16.1-xen
Test sequence:
make -jN clean && make -jN && make -jN clean && time make -jN

Both test series' ran on the same partition on the same disk. In the Xen
setup I exported the partition to the domU using

        disk = [ ...,
                 'phy:sda1,hda11,w' ]

in the config file.

The performance loss is greater than what I have expected. Can anybody
confirm the dimension of the performance loss? Are these values normal
for a Xen setup?

I'm also interested in whether there are already best practices for
performance tuning.

Thanks,

Stephan