Re: [Xen-users] XEN vs GSX Server

On Thursday 16 March 2006 19:37, Michael Lang wrote:
> Lucas de Souza Santos wrote:
>
> i've tryed both of them, and sorry yes Xen doesnt look stable for me ...
> my expirience with Xen 3
>
>       +performance improvemnt
>       +handling dom0 Bridge and VMs
>       -memory consuming task (Java,..) are crashing not only the
>         unprivileged Dom
>
> my expirience with GSX 3
>
>       +VMs are portable between even different HostSystems (Win, Lin)
>       +VMs dont crash HostSystem

I'm not sure how much difference there is between GSX and VMWare workstation,
but it's used at my work for testing purposes and I've had the host crash
(full freeze, requiring hard reset) on occasion because of a problem in the
Guest.
This happens with only VMWare running.

I have seen some problems with Xen, but the performance of a single CPU system
running Xen with 9 domains (not counting Domain-0) feels alot better then on
a dual CPU system with twice the memory running VMWare.
The few problems I'm experiencing (LVM snapshots not being able to be removed)
can be worked around while the developers manage to get this working.

--
Joost