Re: [Xen-users] domU boot from cdrom..?

To: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU boot from cdrom..?
From: David Kowis <dkowis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:17:32 -0600
Cc: miguel <dezm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:18:56 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Miguel,
>
> you could make an ISO image from the CD-ROM and use that for booting.
>
> This is an entry I use for starting off a NetBSD-ISO:
>
>> disk = [ 'file:/var/xentemp/i386cd-3.0.iso,cd0a,r',
>> 'phy:/dev/LVMvg01/razalde,0x301,w' ]
>
> You simply have to adjust pathes and mountpoints to your needs. It works
> in Xen 2.0.7, I did not try that in 3.0.x.
>
> Dirk
>

> miguel schrieb:
>
>> How can I have one of my guest systems boot directly from a cdrom? I
>> see that it is possible on the vmx machines using vmxloader as the
>> kernel but what about non vmx guests?
>>
>> is this possible, if so how? i have not been able to find any place
>> that specifies it... all install have been with a copy of an existing OS.
>>
>> thanks

We can do it in Source Mage :)
One of our developers is putting this together:
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Install_under_Xen

I've installed off our install cd and such, however it's because our
installer doesn't rely on anything fancy to make it work. it'll function
without any modules loading or any fancy kernel patches. Your mileage
may vary with other installers. Of course you could give Source Mage a
shot too, you might like it ;)

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
  - Robert Heinlein

  - Arthur C. Clarke