Re: [Re: [Xen-users] Slow domU network

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Re: [Xen-users] Slow domU network
From: Artur Schiefer <aschiefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:43:17 +0100
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:44:19 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hello,

somehow the linux network core tries to adjust itself to its
environment. as i recently learned theese parameters are optimized for
100 mbit networking. from another poster i got the info that you have to
set the following parameters in your "/etc/sysctl.conf" to achieve gbit
speed:
# increase TCP maximum buffer size
net.core.rmem_max=16777216
net.core.wmem_max=16777216

# increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limits
# min, default, and maximum number of bytes to use
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 16777216

BUT THIS ONLY SOLVES THE PROBLEM FOR WITHIN DOMU COMMUNCATION (i.e.
sender and receiver are the SAME virtual maschine, which should be a
theoretical problem in most cases). I tuned domU and dom0 this way
problem between dom0 and domU still exists. i also played with tcp
window sizes (-w option in iperf) from 64kb to 2MB but the performance
differences are negligable.