Re: [Xen-users] VT-X - Documentation and Requirements

On Feb 20, 2006, at 3:48 PM, Luke wrote:

I'm trying to find some documentation on how exactly Xen uses VT- X. Where's a good place to look for this? The Xen Wiki was fairly sparse... I've read the Pentium VT-X whitepaper, but I'm still at a loss as to how some of the pieces fit into the Xen structure under HVM (Grant tables, for instance), and i'd like to be able to find the answers, instead of asking 20 questions here.

I'm still quite stuck on this.

I'm also trying to figure out if there's hardware out there now that will let me run unmodified guests - I know the 9xx series Pentium D's support this, but I heard rumors that more was necessary. Motherboards? Updated BIOSes? Is there anywhere I can look for the requirements (or figure them out, if the Xen VT-X documentation somewhere is good), as well as, hopefully, a list of currently working boards?

Anyone willing to post a motherboard model that had a BIOS that works with VT-X? Maybe I can figure it out if I have a few examples.

It'd be nice to know what exactly VT-X requires from the BIOS as well, and why...