Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 on Ubuntu Dapper

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:29:30PM +1300, Nicholas Lee wrote:
> On 23/02/06, Tom Marshall <tommy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Just a quick update (sorry for the spam, I'm hoping at least a couple
> > > folks
> > > are interested in Xen 3.x on Dapper...)
> >
> > I did get a few positive responses so I hope it's okay to continue this
> > thread here.  If not, I can move it to ubuntu-users.
> >

> Personally I run host0 on straight debian.  I'd be interesting though
> if someone has done some work already and what packages can be remove
> from a full Dapper install for a functional domU desktop.

Well, Dapper seems to be functional with the Xenified 2.6.16-rc kernel.  I
don't know what changes have been added to the 2.6.15 kernel by the Ubuntu
team or how their absence would affect functionality.  Give it a shot, it'll
probably work.

I've been under the assumption that most of the changes were either new or
updated drivers or handpicked bugfixes from later kernel versions, which
would seem to mainly affect dom0 for most folks.  It's always possible that
there is some extra desktop related functionality but I don't know for sure
because I don't use Gnome.

[So why do I run Ubuntu?  Well, mostly because I have Ubuntu on my wife's
computer and my mother's computer, so it's more consistent to have
everything running one distro.  Since installing it, I've become quite fond
of it for other little things.]

--
It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits:
freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.