Re: [Xen-users] in a domU, 6 network interfaces wanted, only 3 seen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] in a domU, 6 network interfaces wanted, only 3 seen
From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:39:56 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:52:30 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 14 February 2006 15:37, Sébastien Munch wrote:
> Hello,

Hello,

> I need 6 virtual interfaces in a domU (which will be our firewall). I've
> created 6 bridges in dom0, configured everything correctly...

I have (had) the same requirement.

> When I start the domU, it can only see 3 of them : eth0, eth1, eth2.
>
> However, the bridges in dom0 are correctly configured, and I can see all 6
> vifs (from vif<DOM_ID>.0 to vif<DOM_ID>.5) when using "brctl show".
>
> On the domU, I get these lines in syslog :
>
> Feb 14 15:10:14 athena kernel: #### netfront can't alloc rx grant refs
> Feb 14 15:10:14 athena last message repeated 2 times

Not sure where I found it, but in the email archives for this mailing list,
have a search for this error.

> I'm pretty sure it is related.
> Does somebody have informations about this problem ?

And yes, I do have information about this problem.
There is a limit of 3 interfaces per domU, it's configured in a
define-variable, which again is related to some other settings.

I'm the wrong person to ask for the specifics, but the bottom line is, it's
(currently?) not possible to have more then 3 interfaces.

I ended up redesigning the network layout with 2 firewalls.

Hope this helps with the problem, even though it's not what you probably
wanted to hear.

Kind regards,

Joost Roeleveld