Re: [Xen-users] Running Xen 2.0 for Counter Strike: Source

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Running Xen 2.0 for Counter Strike: Source
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:00:47 -0600
Cc: Bart van den Heuvel <bart@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:13:33 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:
I'm running Xen on a dual xeon system at the moment and somehow the
results are a bit less than what i expected. I’ve started to do some
monitoring on it to see how bad it is. you can see for yourself on:
http://core.zokahn.com/cs-01/

I've installed Xen 2.0 using the howto in howtoforge:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_xen_setup_debian_ubuntu

This virtual machine is running 2 counter-strike public servers. Games has
always been a fine benchmark tool :-) The fps number should be much
higher. On my home server (a single p4 running lots and lots of stuff) the
reading is 150-200 average untweaked with basic settings.
Can you provide more actual numbers?

With two servers running, I would not expect anything more than 60fps on each. Remember, you're running two (three?) full operating systems with two full counter strike servers.

Regards,

Anhtony Liguori
Hmmmm. Sounds like performance is degrading badly somewhere. Have you run any more basic benchmarks to determine if network / disk are performing as they should?

How have you set up the CPU allocation? Are you pinning the servers to different CPUs? Are you using hyperthreading?

I imagine that CS doesn't make optimal use of the network from a virtualisation PoV, but I'm still a little surpised its that poor.

In the counter strike forums there is word about the kernel hz. They say
the kernel should be configured to 1000hz. fortunately the used 2.6.11.12
kernel has a standard setting of 1000hz. As you can see in the kernel
source: include/i386/param.h. However current readings in cs are more like
hz is set to 250!

Nb. I think the kernel HZ value was reduced to 250 in later kernels anyhow. The kernel developers seem a bit unsure of what to set it to, or whether they're actually that bothered about it.

Can I expect this to be the same in xen 3.0?

It's worth using Xen 3.0 in any case, since it'll get performance and bug fixes that wouldn't go into 2.0. Without understanding more of what's causing your problem I can't be more specific.

Cheers,
Mark