Re: [Xen-users] Mount block-device rw on more DomU

To: Michael Mey <michael.mey@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Mount block-device rw on more DomU
From: Marco Natali <marco@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:01:43 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:14:28 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, if I will access to that volume in asyncronous way!
Instead I'll install Oracle RAC with ASM (Automatic Storage Managment) and OCR (Oracle Cluste Ready),  two objects that manage in a cluster way the volume I want to use in r/w.
This could work like a real external storage.
Don't you think so?

Marco Natali

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 11:52 +0100, Michael Mey wrote:
On Monday 13 February 2006 23:44, Marco Natali wrote:
> Hi all
> I would like to install for testing an Oracle RAC on two DomU and I need
> of some block devices simulating an external storage.
> I would like to mount an LVM volume in Dom0 mounted rw by two DomU, but
> when I try to attach the block device I receive this message:
>
>   # xm block-attach oracle1 phy:/dev/vg0/oracle-db /dev/sdb1 rw
>   Error: Device 2065 (vbd) could not be connected.
>   Device /dev/vg0/oracle-db is mounted in a guest domain,
>   and so cannot be mounted now.
>
> Is it possible to force in some way?
>
> Thanks
>
> 	Marco Natali

Hi,

you really wouldn't want to do that. The possibility for destroying the
filesystem during the first few minutes is nearly 100 %. For this purpose,
you should consider using a cluster filesystem, like gfs, ocfs2 (easier to
set up) or sth similar.

Michael