RE: [Xen-users] Seeing the IP addresses of domUs from dom0

To: "Anand Gupta" <xen.mails@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Seeing the IP addresses of domUs from dom0
From: "Ford, Toby" <Toby.Ford@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:12:23 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:25:39 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>On 2/10/06, Ford, Toby <Toby.Ford@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Using a default xen3.0.1 setup for dom0(rhel4 distro) and domUs
(gentoo,
>>rhel4, centos4.2 distros, ttylinux) with the domUs all having dhcp
>>turned on, is there an easy way to tell from within the dom0 what ip
>>addresses were assigned to the domUs after bootup?
>
>Sure, just specify the MAC id for each domU inside your config files.
Then >for each MAC id specify an ip address in your dhcp config file.
This way >you know which domU will have what ip.

That makes complete sense, if I controlled the dhcp. Unfortunately, in
this case I don't control the dhcp server configuration.

I was looking for a way to determine the ip of a domU from the command
line of the dom0. I found that with 'xm list --long <domid>' I could see
some of the information that dhcp sets like gateway and netmask in the
section seen below, but the ip is always literally '1.2.3.4'. Seems like
a bug in xm.

(domain
   (image
        (linux
            (kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12.6-xenU)
            (ramdisk /boot/initrd-2.6.12.6-xenU)
            (ip :1.2.3.4:10.25.7.1:255.255.255.0:vm1:eth0:dhcp)
            (root '/dev/sda1 ro')
            (args 4)
        )
    )