RE: [Xen-users] no pci support in xen-3.0.1 with gentoo?

To: "Bobber Cheng" <bobber.cheng@xxxxxxxxx>, "Kneschke.Lars" <l.kneschke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] no pci support in xen-3.0.1 with gentoo?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:45:22 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:57:27 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can certainly get network functionality in DomU - you just can't get
directly to the actual physical PCI device.

Generally, the DomU is linked to the rest of the world through a
"bridge" device - which is just a piece of software that transfers the
data to Dom0, where Dom0 decides whether it's going to send it to the
Ethernet card or just transfer it to another domain - or perhaps answer
itself (in case you ping dom0 for instance).

But if you really want to have direct access to the real hardware from a
DomU, then you need to use either Xen 2.0.x, or wait for the PCI
assignment feature in 3.0 to appear - I did see some patches a few days
ago, but I'm not sure if they are applied to unstable or not. There were
several comments and a bit of toing and froing on the patch, IIRC.

--
Mats